Thursday, November 27, 2008

My letter to Bill Bradley of the Sac Bee

Mr. Bradley,
I almost spit my coffee all over my laptop when I was reading your article on how you would take Spencer Hawes over Greg Oden (http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1428878.html#Comments_Container). I honestly could not believe that a credible sports journalist would make such a, how can I put this delicately, ill considered statement. If you want to do it right, you need to compare rookie numbers only, and not the numbers from this year since Spencer has spent an entire year getting up to NBA speed. You want (I think) the most telling stat? Greg Oden recorded a double double (along with 4 blocks) in his third game. Hawes didn't get his until his 60th game. As a matter of fact, it took Greg all of five games to record a 20 point effort, whereas Spencer had none. That's right, no games with 20 points his entire rookie campaign. And it's not because Hawes is playing behind Miller, Oden came off the bench behind Pryzbilla to record his.

Really, what research did you do for this article?
Here's Greg's game log
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/playerGameLog?categoryId=466327
And here's Spencer's (from his rookie year)
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/playerGameLog?categoryId=466345&selectedSeason=2007

look at the first 15 games and tell me Greg's ceiling is capped. I DARE you. Hawes has a sweet jumper, and he's a hell of a player, but he's no Greg Oden, sir. We're in the age of Google, and you just proved yourself an analog journalist.


Sincerely,
Brendan McMannis

No comments:

Post a Comment